Friday, May 22, 2009

Who Is Hogging This Lane?



This is a typical example of some of the roads I travel on. (About 30% of the time.) This one is unusual in that a dashed line has been painted down the center. The posted speed limit is 30 MPH.
You can tell from the ruts worn into the lanes where cars naturally position themselves. But when faced with oncoming traffic, motorists will crowd the edge of the lane as this person is.
On these roads I ride in the left tire track, about where my bike in the picture is positioned. In so doing, I am in compliance of the FTR and SMV laws, which compel me to ride as far to the right as practicable.




2 comments:

  1. On such a road, I don't see a clear advantage to LH versus RH tire track, or even middle. The only BAD position would be one that creates the impression that a motorist lane shift is not required and even that would be tough to accompish here - for even the most determined gutter bunny.

    Are we getting focused on minor details here? Have you ever experienced an unsafe pass on such a road that wasn't intentionally so?

    ReplyDelete